Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Going the Distance

Yesterday's Chapel Sermon was so timely and impactful for me and my current situation. It was about "Going the Distance." The title itself is quite self-explanatory But the main points were:
-there is no alternative, there is no quitting.
-we dictate the atmosphere and not be influenced by the atmosphere.
-when we're running on the "treadmill" let's not lag but be fresh.
All these above points refer to how my attitude and outlook should be towards my ministry and workload.

Further main points that struck a cord in me include:
-we need a series of decision internally that will allow us to finish the race. There is no point in starting if I won't finish. And this is related to the Youth Service message last week, it was preached that god would not start something in us that He will not finish Himself in us.
-if you're not running to win then don't run... Bearing in that that when we do run we don't run for competition sake but because we run in the life that Jesus gave us to live.

And example of this "Going the Distance" is seen through the life of Samuel. He continued to serve the Lord and led the people all the days of his life. Not just some days when he felt like it, but all days he served the Lord.

A thought to ponder: do you think Jesus was exhausted when He was carrying the Cross?! After being whipped to "death" and facing death He still carried on anyway because He knew He had to finish the mission.

How does this effect me?
Well I learnt that I have to serve and lead all the days of my life, not just on some days or on good days but on all days.

It's not an option to not turn up to my "work" because there are people relying on my contribution. The thought of my ministry, my children, the next generation, the ROCKidz make me turn up! If we don't turn up then something happens to the "link" of Abraham and Isaac that is passed down unto us.

And with this there were a couple of things to regularly do:
-rely on God always
-offer yourself into a personal devotional relationship with God

These reminded me of how I need to be able to sustain myself in my ministry and in my call and continue going the distance.

This message really changed me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home