Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Is it the cat or the meat's fault?

I know this topic has been floating around recently about the Sheik's comment on women's dressing, which he views "invites" rape. And I know that its like "old" news but what really caught my attention about this news story was when I went out to have dinner with my high school friends last Saturday night, one of whom is a faithful Muslim. We were talking and just catching up with what has been going on in our lives - uni, work, friends but then it was my Muslim friend that brought up the topic of the Sheik's comment on the cat and the meat. Suddenly, I found this interesting because he, himself, is a Muslim, and I thought that these comments would have insulted him or something. So I asked him, "what's your view on this comment?", "do you think that it is the meat's fault?" I was ready to hear his answer that was something along the lines of, "yes, it is the meat's fault blah blah blah..." but what really got me was his actual response, "I think it is the cat's fault blah blah blah...women don't do anything...it's the men who don't have self-restraint." This (his response) really blew me away because here I am watching the news, reading the papers and thinking that all Muslims believe and think the same way as the Sheik, regarding this matter on women, dress and rape. But to my surprise, I got a totally different answer. We further discussed this issue, while on the bus to Star City, and I was really interested in getting his views on this and he further told me that what the Sheik said is only representing one group of Muslims, to which he (my friend) doe not agree with. What's even more surprising is my friend's comment, "I don't even know why we have a Sheik and why we have to listen to him" without getting too deep into the whole Sheik's commentry, I just wanted to know what his perspectives are, being a young Muslim male in a Western society. I asked him what his parents thought about his issue and he said that his parents view it the same way as he does.

Through this I'm not swaying to either side. And I realise that my friend does not represent the whole Muslim society but what I'm trying to point out is that it is interesting what my Muslim friend had to say about this very sensitive issue. Here, I am thinking that all Muslims think the same way as the Sheik, but I have been proven wrong, at least by one Muslim person.
-interesting-

4 Comments:

At 9:00 PM, Blogger Peter Podcast said...

Yes the sheik is only one perspective as Cardinel Pell mightn't speak for you.
Fine perspective.

 
At 8:49 AM, Blogger dancingundies said...

Yeah I dunno how I feel about the Sheik... it jsut gets hard to express one's feelings without hurting another when it comes to religion aye?

 
At 3:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

6 WORD!..IT'S NEVER THE MEAT'S FAULT.

 
At 7:52 PM, Blogger tephiee said...

yes, I agree with misswhatzhername about it being not the meat's fault. People should be able to attain self-control and watch their own actions. And even if it does slip up and one is unable to have self-control (if that's the problem) then one should be strong enough in their faith (religion) to know what is right and what is wrong. To do what is right for both parties.

And yes, I do agree that it is a highly sensitive issue when it comes to religion, especially now in society, where religion is generally associated with negative connotations.

My perspective (being pretty into my religion) is to stay strong and I have discovered that is has been and, I guess will be, a battle between the body and the Spirit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home