Monday, July 16, 2007

My Big Fat...

I watched the dvd "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" last week... As I was watching it I was laughing at something that I hadn't realise was something that was so close to home...

I had always grown up in a traditional, Asian culture where I was not really opened to other cultures besides the occasional multicultural days in primary school. I never had friends sleeping over or going out.. I was much more of a girl who just stayed within the "cultural boundaries" that had been set by my parents...I never questionned their authority or "boundaries" and I never tried to stray away... but now as maturity has turned its time on me.. I realise that each culture is not as different and strange as another..

As I watched this dvd, I realised that both the European culture and the Asian culture do share alot in common..For one both cultures practically shove food down guests' throats as they enter one's homes.. at this point my mother had joined in and laughed at the distinct similarities of both cultures...

My parents are traditionalist, and old fashioned. They always keep to themselves but as my mother watched this dvd she was more opened to the relationships of inter-culture. From my perspective, this is a huge step. My family are very closed and reserved when it comes to other cultures but I think that as society advance so does the persepectives of some parents...

This has become evident in my family as some of my family members have "looked" outside the set cultural boundaries... I mean, when I was young, I would say to myself "Steph, no way are you going to step outside the "Asian" boundaries" and for a certain time in my life I was "faithful" to that... but now as my cousins have also grown out of this restricted mentality, I have now questioned what I want?!

My eldest cousin has currently been dating his Korean girlfriend for mroe than 2 years... I know that it still falls into the "Asian" culture but its hilarious in my family when things as these occur.. for one our language barrier is a bit of a problem but I think that as "the love grows" all else fails..hahhaa.. I know I sound a bit emotional but its true... my aunts and uncles who were adamant about this culture thing have now grown to love and care for her to the extent that we have considered her as a real family member...

I guess this just goes to show that at the end you might now know what the future holds but what is certain is that relationships is not determined by what code you speak in (except the code of english and I guess the code of "love"hahaha), what clothes you wear, or what background you come from.

When I ponder this thought, I remember of my aunt who is married to an Australian. They are both devoted to the differences and similarities of each other and I just think to myself how that is possible?! I mean its hard...at the end one of them must "subside" their own culture just to "fit into" the other but then I think back and realise that, as I said earlier, its not determined by a code or dress code.. its determined by something that is so much larger than us, you or me...

My perspective on this: learn to be open.. others are not as different to as you may first think they are... you may be surprised at the similarities, which do make you unique yet alike in a common understanding...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home