Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Untouched Beauty.

These past few days I had been longing for time to just sit back and relax. To have time to sleep in and not have assignments to be done. Finally, I received this time at a family trip to Port Stephens. We booked out a house by the beach for 3 nights. I travlled there with my family and my aunts and uncles (as usual a holiday is never without my large family)



When I arrived there, I didn't know what to expect. I thought we might just go to the beach and the malls - like we always do. But I was wrong. While we did go to the beach and malls, I didn't expect to have actually family family time. Because we never really did have family family time so I thought we would never change. So what made this time different? I guess it was just the fact that we couldn't "run" anywhere since we didn't know where to go and so are forced to spend time with the family.


The first thing that got to realise that this was a really special time with my family was when we all popped by to the local shopping village and went to buy our necessary groceries. We all went in, all 10 of us and just went into all the aisles and got what we needed. While I was in the aisles, picking up some stuff, I passed by aunt and uncle who picked out the same stuff as me. I know it sounds lame but I guess its just weird teh whole family going down and doing the shopping together. And its funny as even in a grocery store I learnt alot about my family through the foods the eat and like. I guess it just made me realise that yes eventhough my family is quite large, I appreciate the things we get to share. It was funny as we got to the cash register to pay, the cashier was amused by the fact that we were still missing some stuff after like 1 trolly full of food and how like all 6 adults were waiting to pay the bill and probably guessed that we were all tourists. He was curious and asked us where we were from etc. but I felt like he was finding it amusing for all of us buying the food, because we had different needs. But I guess, its the fact that my family is unique that makes it all interesting and loving.

We all chipped in to help cook and put the groceries into its places. And even here, I felt like I was connecting even more with my family. We were joking and fooling around while cooking and I guess the best part was everyone was there. You couldn't escape, you didn't know where to go.

We had dinner. All sitting at the dinner table for my family is unusual and different. Usually we would eat at diferent times and hence never eat at the dinner table. This time we were all there and to an extent "forced" to make conversation. But it was an exclusive time where we shared our views and opinions about things and just talked about things that mattered in our lives. It was here where I began a great appreciation of the time I get to have with my family. The warmth, care, and attention we all shared there was rare and unforgettable. We laughed, we debated, we argued together in a non-violent manner, and just made the most of the time together.


(image from google)

The following days continued with more joys, warmth -physically from the sun and emotionally from my family, laughters, jokes, and just simply more fun! This time we went to go dolphin watching and went on a 4WD Sand Dune drive. That was extremely enjoyable. To be in a car and driving rougly over the sand was, I didn't realise, exciting. And by the time we got to the spot the view was incredible. I was so amazed by all shown to me these past few days. My family, quality time, sharing, connecting and to top it off with dolphin watching and the sand dunes was just wonderful.


(the crisp blue sky...the car wheel tracks digs prints into the soft sand...)

As I sat on the sand dunes, I said prayer of appreciation of all that I have-my family and all that will come in future. Although I don't know what my future holds for me but I do know that it will be something great and spectacular. This I took as a metaphor from the sand dunes...10 mins of rocking and turning in the car...the heat of not knowing where this path will take me...where my destination was...and to be stumbled across a wide strip sand dunes after the other was just amazing. I realised that this is a form of life. You travel on hard roads, at times uncertain ones and think that this may be he wrong road...But when I got to the actual sand dunes... I was stumbled by the beauty of it...to see that at the end of each rocky road there is a piece of reward waiting to be consumed... It was indescribable!


At the end of this trip, I realised it was becoming a new year. To let go and to move on...However, the beginning of this year seems to be a little less frightening than the year before. I don't know why. I guess i feel that this year holds somethings that I dont know, I cannot grasp yet I feel security and comfort within it.



-it has been a refreshing start to the new year!-

~ in the midst of unknowness and ambiguity .... I feel security, comfort and peace ~

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a great time with your family, steph! I wish my family was here! Can't wait to come home!

 
At 6:55 PM, Blogger tephiee said...

You will be seeing them soon! I hope you enjoy your holiday with your family. And thank you for the comment. ^^

 
At 7:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hiii
ur buggin me to wryt this so here it goes....
hahah untouched beauty bahahah watevvaahhh loooozzaahh lol
u jst sed u hate rhyms but here's one anyway lmao

u thought u got a tann
in tha place with lots of sand
a sunburn is all u got
nd then u lost the plot
ur writing's so dramatic
writind this i feel estatic
dnt get angry with meee
i'm onli being happy

wat a good one aye!! lol

luv ur cuzin _ _ _ _ _
(u sed not to write name so yeh) lol

 

Post a Comment

<< Home