Friday, February 01, 2008

Empty Faces of Jakarta

Jakarta… So here I am in Jakarta. My uncle and aunty came and picked me up. I slept over their place since I have no home in Indonesia.

Looking back: - I anticipated for a relaxing holiday, where I get to meet friends (the very little that I have) and family I have missed for quite some time. But I guess that’s not what had happened in Indo.

The journey to their house was trip of loaded with despair, heavy heartedness and sadness. People on the streets, sidewalks and shops seem so lifeless, dull and empty.

Everytime I travel to Indo, I feel heavy hearted. So many unfortunate AND fortunate people living in the same country, same city, same suburb, and even same street…People who don’t have the basic essentials:- of proper toilet, bedroom, bed etc. In comparison to the fortunate people who have blocks of land just to fit their private cars or swimming pools that they never swim in or have so many room in their homes that are built just for display for the neighbours.

These are the basic essentials? Basic essentials for who? For you, who has the BMW in the driveway or for the people who can barely make the day.

But one can question, ‘what are the basic essentials?’

This poses as a striking question for me. What I think is “basic essential” is not always what the world thinks or condones to be a “basic essential”.

It is here that I observe, examine and come to appreciate my own life. My own surroundings, My apartment. My family. My education. My country.

It is not until you step out of your comfort zone, do you realize that life is precious.

Life is given. Life is taken. Life is wasted. Life is cherished. Life is joyous. Life is destructive.

Which is your life? –I think I know which one mine is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home