Tuesday, July 28, 2009

New semester, new challenges...

I had my first class today for this semester. It was television journalism 2. It was quite interesting, exciting and also scary as usual when you start something new.

It sounds like a "hard" subject in the sense that this semester we have to produce a 6-8 minute story and another 8-10 minute one. I guess it sounds "hard" now but when it's done I guess I won't be too difficult.

The teacher is cool. He seems "relaxed" and not quite like the other teachers I've had before. I like his teachings. He said 'I'm not here to teach you but to help you learn.' So that's definitely a different way of looking at education.

Today's class just highlighted to me that life is unpredictable. You'll never what life will throw at you. I;ve come to this "conclusion" after listening to my teacher talk about his experience.

He initially started in a degree in teaching but after a 1 year and half in that he decided he didn't like it so he dropped it. He then worked as a manual labourer and was out of school for 3 years until a friend of his from Charles Sturt Univeristy suggested that he should go and study journalism at Charles Sturt. He asked his friend why he should do and his friend just said 'you like to read and write so go study it.' My teacher explained how he thought about how he couldn't be a manual labourer all his life and needed to do something else. So the next day he went and enrolled at Charles Sturt and after attending their classes for 2 months he knew that he loved journalism and wanted to pursue a career in it.

His "lesson" for us was life will take you on a journey through obstacles and courses but in the end it will take you to a 'place' you enjoy-your career.

This got me thinking about my current situation. I'm studying journalism but I know that journalism is not something I want to pursue. Even if I did push for it, I'd like to do documentary style productions rather than straight journalism.

And it reminded me of what I really wanted to do and I remembered as friend of mine who always said that she could see me as a teacher or someone who worked in the church-ministry. And just 2 weeks ago I was teaching at Sunday School and a new teacher was observing our class. At the end of class he came up to me and asked if I had studied teaching and when I told him I was studying journalism he was quite "amazed." He thought that I had some background in teaching because he said I had handled the children really well. I took this as a compliment and it had stuck in mind ever since.

And especially when my teacher said that watch those who observe you and suggest to you what path to take. I mean at the end of the day you are the one making the decision about your life but those around you can support and probably see from an outside point of view what suits you more.

So start taking note of what people see in you-I mean in the positive way. You never what life throws at you but again when you know who you are in Him, things that don't make sense will be made sense to you and things that have been trusted into your life will come to pass despite what people say about your life. Remember it's about the journey you're on and the destiniation your are headed towards.

2 Comments:

At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this is Claudia here, Wennie's friend.
This blog entry is very inspiring to me and it's so true about that bit, making decisions for our life and etc. Guess we'll never know huh..

 
At 1:45 PM, Blogger tephiee said...

Hey Claudia.

Thanks for the comment! Everything I write in this blog is about the lessons I've learnt and am still continuing to learn.. Hope it becomes a blessing, an answer, an inspiration, a motivation or whatever it can be for someone out there! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home