Thursday, November 23, 2006

Stop Listening to the Accusing Voices.

Have you ever experienced those times when you were about to do something and there were two contradicting voices in your head? Like an angel on one side and a devil on the other? I'm sure everyone has been faced by this many many times, for example, one voice saying to you 'no, you can't apply for that job! You can't do it! Blah blah blah' but in opposition, there is the other voice that says 'yes, go for it! you know you are capable for that job. Blah blah blah'

Well, last night at youth group, I learnt a great lesson about Stop Listening to the Accusing Voices. These are the voices in your head that convey condemnation, negativity, and counter-actions. The lesson was to stop listening to these voices as they end up ruling your actions and in turn dictate the route of your life.

As I was listening to this, I was reminded of last year in High School (last year). I was in year 12 and there was a selection process if anyone wanted to become School Captain (SC). Me being me, I thought 'no way can I run for SC! No one is going to select me!' I'm quiet, conserved, unoticed (I thought) and definately not popular! My friends were urging me to take the opportunity, take the chance but I "thought" I knew where I stood in the school - a quiet, unpopular student - But I guess I was mistaken!

Apart of me wanted to run for it, 'what if I do get it? Don't I want to see how far I can go? Since this is the last year of HS, you should take the opportunity' As a result, I collected all that was brave of me, or at least what minimal of it I had, and prepared my speech with my father, for support.

As all my friends prepared their speeches, I knew it would be my close friend, who was DUX of the year since year 7, the teacher's pet, loved by all, who would actually win the captainship. But again I was mistaken!

When they day came for the presentations, I was very close to not entering. I was in the libary in the morning and reading over my speech when my friends came in, one of which was my DUX friend. They were there to also practise their speech. This made me uncomfortable, afraid and frightened. I began to feel unworthy for the captainship compared to my friends, who were alot more smarter and more loved by the teachers. I was insecure and on the verge of giving it up when I heard a voice in me say 'don't you want to see what you are made of?' how far you can go? this will be your last chance' With that in mind and also the fact that my dad helped me with my speech, I didn't want to give it up.

The selection of a SC is done by the 10 School Leaders, whom I was already part of as my fellow friends and teachers voted for me, and supervised by my Principal, teachers, and students from the SRC. After all the presentations were done, after a random picking out of numbers for the order of presentations (I was number 4, good number, in the middle) the Principal tallied the votes. I was real nervous, but I remembered to thank God for His help, strength and wisdom.

To cut the story short, I was voted female School Captain 2005 of my HS! 'What?! Me?! How?!' these thoughts were running through my head!! But now as I look back I do not regret a single thing from my last year in HS.

This (being selected as SC) proved to me and everyone around me that anything is possible. Those who know me can tell you that I am a quiet, reserved girl but I have learnt not to put myself down because even me just being me allowed me to be SC!

My lesson of this blog is: Stop Listening to the Accusing Voices, take the chance, take the opportunity, take the risk, take the challenge. You never know your limits unless you try it all out! Don't give up!

Remember, do you want to live a life filled with 'what if's?'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home