Thursday, November 23, 2006

What Makes One a "Real" Australian?

I was at the end of my Mandarin class when I heard of news that my uncle needed 5 Australians to support the fact that my uncle is of good character and nature (for the processing of his residency) And I was having a converstion about who would be the 5 Australians when I suggested one of my uncle's close friends. But my aunt rejected it and said "he's not Australian, he's Asian!" This really caught my attention as I thought 'but he's an Australian citizen, why can't he support?' I asked my aunt this and she gave the same reply, 'He's Asian, and not Australian!'

This conversation, for me, was turning into a debate, where I was challenging my aunt to support me with facts that back up her arguement that Asians are not Australians, whether or not they are citizens of Australia or not. I believed that if you are a citizen of Australia then that makes you an Australian, despite the colour of your hair, skin, or eyes.

It made me think and question 'then what categories one to be an Australian and the other not?' Isn't Australia a multiculturally diverse country? I felt really strongly about the fact that Australians can be all sorts of skins and hair colours because we are a mulitcultural society. There should be no boundary or barrier that separates the blonde, blue eyed Australians and the yellow skinned, black haired Australian! We all pay out equal taxes, relatively, obey by the nations' laws, and both are loyal to the serving of our country. So, why is there still the mentality that Australians are blonde and blue eyed.

By the way, I am in no way racist against blode and blue eyed or any other nationality, as many of my long lasting close friend relationships are with blonde, blue eyed Australian, Middle-Easterns, Asians, and European friends. I am just curoius and annoyed about the fact that the mentality that one is an Australian if they are blonde and blue eyed.

This reminds of me of my History class in year 10. I remember it so vividly, as my History teacher was teaching us about Australian history, its contributions to war blah blah blah...and she said something along the lines of 'back in the early years of Australia's establishment as a country, the classrooms were all filled with blonde and blue eyed students. There was not a single black, green or yellow haired student' (not her exact words, but along those lines) She questioned us and asked us to raise our hands if we are truly an Australian, meaning from England and not having any mixed blood. It was definately surprising to see the results. Can you guess how many students raised their hands? Only ONE! Only ONE student among a classroom filled with students, about 25 of us, signalled that he was truly an Australian.

This was most interesting to me as I know that this was only one example but a clear example of the changing times and changing characteristics that construct the Australian nationality.

I'm writing this blog not to stir up trouble, especially in these times when the topic of Australian idenity and nationality is highly senitive. I am just interested, amused and blown away that even today that some people still relate the Australian as blonde and blue eyed.

4 Comments:

At 6:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a mind boggling questions. Yet, interesting. I think many other nationality across the world are experiencing the same thing.

 
At 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a mind boggling post. Yet, interesting. I think many other nationality across the world are experiencing the same thing.

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought it was the Nazi's who treasured Blonde haired blue eyes!
Good Blogging!!

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger tephiee said...

Yes, I think that it is not only Australia that is experiencing this confusing nationality idenity thing. Especially with today's sciety being highly sensitive about race and religion and even the recent debates about sending back Australian citizen to their "native" country due to their lack of integration into the Australian culture and their disobeying behaviour with the Australian laws. To this, I think it is ridiculous! How could ou send an Australian citizen, who has lived in this country most of their life, and ship them over to another country just like that! The theory may sound practical but in reality it is very difficult.

And sending them back to their "native" country! What and where is their "native" country when all their lives Australia has provided that comfort.

I'm just trying to explore and raise this issue and find out what other people think. I'm trying to attack or label any race but to simply discuss the differing point of views.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home