Saturday, December 02, 2006

Humans Playing God?

This is really randOmZ! I was watching the news and all the first 4 news items were related to weather, or nature. One that was interesting was about the horrible drought that Australia is currently experiencing. Channel 7 showed images of the sky where it's all cloudy but doesn't seem to rain. The report was about a breakthrough in the scientific arena, where there is something called 'Cloud Seedings', that are released into the clouds, which will in turn create rain.

An Australian scientist in 1995 had tried this 'Cloud Seeding' procedure and according to him this procedure is valid. It did rain. What concerns me, well at least that I have pondered, is the fact that how far will we (humans) try to explore and end up being the ultimate control force over everything that functions on earth and also nature!

For me, having a more traditionalist and religious perspective, I think that this take on solving Australia's drought problem is a bit extreme, in the sense that it questions human's dominance over nature. Having power and control over the weather, when and where it should rain, to me is a bit unusual and makes me view it as humans attempting to play God.

I know that the initial purpose is to help the drought and Australia's water shortages but to what extent do we stop? (I am not disagreeing to this alternative, just posing this debate!) Do we keep on going and creating technology that may make us seem to be God. With this, I'm not trying to point the view that I disagree with technological advancements and scientific improvements but I just wonder to what extent do we stop?

What I question is: what will life be like in another 5-10 years time? Will we have greater dominance over nature, for the purpose of our survival? Now it is the weather, what will be next?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home