Monday, December 11, 2006

Life Is Full Of Differing Interpretations!

I had the chance to visit the Art Gallery of NSW today. I haven't been there since I was in year 3 or 4, so I had some troubles locating the place but eventually I got there. Initially, I didn't know what to expect, I didn't know what to see. As I saw each art work, I questioned myself 'so, what is the significance of this painting? what makes it so great that it is placed in the art agllery?' These questiosn flew through my minds as I roamed around the gallery. I was trying to imagine myself during the time when each paintings were created. I was trying to locate its purpose, it meanings and its value. At times I couldn't even answer these questions but I knew that it was the fact that I didn't know why these paintings were so valuable that made them unique and attractive. I learnt that if I knew everything then that would totally be stupid. It is because of the unknown factor that draws me to galleries such as these and also history. I love history because I know that I don't know everything little thing of that period but it is because of that that I am drawn into the study of history, of its relations, its contexts, and its differing interpretations of things.


I saw this one piece of art work and I was like 'what the? what is the meaning of this art work? An example is seen in the figure below. When I first saw it, I thought it was really ugly. Bt I steped back and looked at it again and realised that it is unique. I realised that some art works to me were just a form of expression from the artist and should not be judged whether it is good or not. I know that I don't like it but that doesn't mean that everyone else shares the same view. It is here that I learnt that in life you do encounter and meet people who are totally different and who have very different perspectives to you. But that does not mean that they are a lesser person that myself. And I realised that it is through these differing perspectives that makes the world rotate. I know that this is very stupid of me to point out but I really value differing perspectives as it allows me to be exposed to different views and conflicts that may allow me to grow. I really believe that the art gallery was one of the places that allowed me to realise this.



Another piece of art work that changed my perspectives on things was the one below. It was an Aboriginal art work made about the morning when one would wake up and be enveloped in the bright blue sky, chirpings of nature adn the subtle rushings of the waterfall. Looking at this painting took my imagination on over ride. I began to imagine how it would make me feel if I had the opportunity to live like this. How would my life would be so different to how it is now. But the greatest insight of all was that it gave me the chance to see how it was for Aboriginal people to live in such wealth of nature. Though the colours used do not depict the precise situation those times but it does allow the responders to imagine what it would be like. I began to imagine and feel abit jealous as the Aboriginals seemed to have lived at a time where the essentials in life was just nature. The great open wonders of nature, the sun, the moon. This allowed me to appreciate the history of Australia, in spite of the conflicts they had with settlers.




We were in the Asian gallery when a friend of mine commented on the fact that despite being called the Asian Gallery, why is it that there are no other art works besides work from China and Japan. It really didn't not occur to me until she said that to me. I guess that just goes to show that the dominant ideology when it comes to Asians is just Chinese and Japanese. Even the designing of the whole gallery was very Japanese based, with like paper like ceilings and walls. It was interesting to me as it reminded me of a time when I was at work for Mr Balloons. On site, I popped one balloon and the client who was Asian herself, spoke to my supervisor and said "can you please that Chinese girl to stop popping the balloons!" The thing that annoyed me was the fact that she generalised that all people who have black hair are Chinese. Especially, when she herself was evidently and Asian with black hair and typical Asian accent.


I think its just funny as society, without realising, allow dominant ideology as truth and as fact. If it is Asia then it is China or Japan. If it is Australia then it is blonde and blue eyed. If it is Aboriginals the it is considered as an "outsider". I think that it is really stupid if one allows these stereotypings to continue.

I really valued the time I had spent at the art gallery. I think that if one has the spare time to go then I advise you to go. It was throuoghly enjoyable and fascinating...



Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home