Wednesday, February 13, 2008

I'm Sorry! Is that enough?

Today's date will definately go down into Australia's history. The 13th February 2008 was the day Australia said 'sorry' to the indigneous Australians. After decades of emotion pain the ingigenous Australians have heard their 'sorry'. But is it enough?

Some critics view that its not enough. Enough is measured through financial compensation. And some view that enough is when the indigneous Autralians have education. And the list goes on and on... So what is enough?

Isn't 'sorry' enough? Well, the Rudd government views that this will be the start of a new relationship between the indigneous Australians and Australians. He plans to have all indigenous Australians at the age of 4 at school in the next 4 years. But is that enough?

I mean I'm sure there will be more programs enforced that will bridge the gap between these two cultural groups but without financial compensation is that enough?

I think that its not financial compensation that will help restore the indigenous Australians history, heart, and livelihoods. What will money do? Sure money will help them establish a busniess, home etc. But what about the chance of other things such as the access to drugs and alcohol? I'm not negatively looking at the indigneous Australians but I'm just looking at the facts and reality...

I had a friend in high school who was an indigneous Australian. He was very passionate about making changes and building a life where he could help his uncles and family find a job. He shared with me that people were discriminating his family because of their skin colour.

Through this I could see that he wanted change. Not change, necessarily, through monetary funds but through work opportunities that would lead to bulding a life that is attainable, healthy, and fruitful.

I think that's when its enough...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home