Friday, November 14, 2008

You can't expect to be perfect!

I'm learning that you can't be the best at everything.

And the things you are best at you should continue to work on and develop.

I'm appreciative of the J2 (journalism) journey. Though it was tough, I made it to the end.

There were definitely times when I wanted to give up. When thoughts of failure loomed.

Though my liking for journalism hasn't taken a negative turn, I've learnt that maybe (just maybe) journalism was only a stepping block for me to do something else.

During high school (my formative years) I've always had the "dream" to do international relations, diplomacy, foreign correspondence. After speaking to my career advisor she suggested that that is something you can do after you get a degree. She suggested to do a media course and work from there. I trusted her opinion and went for it.

And now after completing a diploma in Communications and half way through my bachelors degree in Journalism, that "dream" had somewhat disappeared. I had totally forgetten about it. Especially since this course had been so consuming, I did even have time to think back as to why I'm doing this course in the first place. The demands and pressures of journalism had replaced my desire and dream for international relations.

My "dream" had been renewed during this past week, between final assessments and the start of the break. I asked myself 'so what now? are you going to work in media? in journalism?' My answers 'I'm not sure. Journalism was not my first priority. I wanted to do something else and I was just doing it as a stepping block.'

And so I've decided that journalism is a stepping block for me. A stepping block for me to do what I really wanted to do. I know it may sound naive or whatever but I'm learning that I'm not here to chase down the dreams of other people, or doing things because people say that I'm good at it or even bad at it and so I shouldn't do it. But I'm here to chase down what I want for me.

And by this I guess I'm saying that journalism is not my ultimate goal. But it does not rule out any possibility of me working in the industry. I still like it but my ultimate "dream" is now renewed and focus is on that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home