Monday, September 27, 2010

Behind every cheeky smile there is...

I was teaching the 5-7 year olds yesterday about being fishers of men and referring to Mark 1:16-20. It was a simple and easy to understand message and I wanted to put it into context by asking and encouraging a discussion with the children about how they would approach being fishers of men and what would they do if the person they were trying to share the gospel with rejected or mocked them?

And surprisingly these two responses amazed me (in a good way):
- [one kid answered me this when asked what if he/she you were sharing rejected you?] "why wouldn't people just believe in God since who would have created us if it weren't for God?" This simple answer answered by a child who has the child-like faith easily and confidently answered that. I leanrt from his repsonse that we need to apply that "child-like" faith concept in our daily walk in Christ. We as adults often get bogged down with the technicalities or politics of religion and faith that often causes us to lose sight of what it really means to believe in God and have faith. So his reponse reignited my child-like faith.

- [one kid answered me this to the same question] "punch them. haha.." But before I could correct hime another kid repsonded by saying this "you don't punch them because that is not what Jesus would do. If we did that then we're not being like Jesus." And at that moment I just melted at the wisdom this kid had. At that moment I knew that even though at times I may question whether or not the children listen and understand what we teach them but after that day and that response I knew that little by little the children understand with the help of the Holy Spirit. From then on I also realised how much I love teachinig kids especially when they leanr and can answer back with repsonses like that. But even if they don't respond like that and give silly answers I am happy that they are answering me so then I know where they are at and how I can correct them if it is wrong.

It is days like this where I get real excited about my ministry not because of anything but because of the changes I can see in the children and how they are learning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home