Wednesday, September 23, 2009

My hair smells like milk...

I was enjoying one of my many wonderful deep sleeps until I was awaken by the horrible sound of an incoming call from my mobile phone. At first I let it ring for a bit confident that it was my mum calling as usual to wake me up. But when my ringtone didn't call out "k-ring...k-ring...Mum" it caused me to take a looko at the caller ID which caught my surprise as it was an office number. I looked up at my clock which read 7.15am. My mind was like "who the heck would ring at such a time?" (And please bear in mind that "morning" for me is like 12 noon) So I cleared my throat and answered the call. At this point I was half awake and half dead to the world. My mind wasn't switched on yet. Just like a computer it needs "loading time."

Anyways, it turned out to be the childcare place I had an interview with a few weeks ago. I can't remember what words were exchanged during that conversation since I was still grappling with the fact that 'I'm sleepy, I have to get out of bed and work?'

But the important things I remembered which were come to work today at 9am until 5pm at Alexandria, wear black pants, uniform provided, bring bank and tax details.

And with that I was off running getting ready and still trying to wake myself up! (I'm so useless in the mornings! Seriously!)

So I got to work that day on time. With about 20 mins to spare before work I sipped on my chai latte hoping it'll help me "wake up."

The day went by both slow and fast. It went by slow everytime I thought about how sleepy and tired I felt. It went by fast everytime I played with the kids!

And basically that's all I did. PLAY! Imagine that I play at work! The first thing I did was play in the playground with the kids. It was hot! Then we moved on inside where the kids (2-4y.o) played some more. Then we had morning tea, where I had to clean up after they ate. Then I was shuffled into the nursery where I played with the 0-2 y.o. Then I was on kitchen duty again after the 2-4 y.o finished their lunch. Then I helped the kids have an afternoon nap. Then I was allowed lunch. Then (to the "HIGHLIGHT" of my day) NAPPY CHANGING TIME! As the kids woke up I had to change each and everyone of their nappies! The bright side was there were a few who didn't need nappies so that helped! I'm not complaining about the nappy changing. I'm definitely learning alot from it! But there was a point where I couldn't tell which kids I had changed and which ones I didn't eventhough there was a chart with there names and I had to tick off which ones had been done. But it was so hard since I didn't know what their names were and when asked what their names were they would just stare into my eyes with no response. So in the end there were some kids who were already potty trained but I put nappies on them! So bad! =(

Anyways after all that was done we had afternoon tea and then played in the playground again. Then I was called to go into the nursery and play there where the kids had a "water fight." It was so hot that day that the teacher threw water to cool them down. And I basically stayed in the nursery until I left for home time.

Things that I've learnt from that day:
- learning to be more patient
- the first kid that approached me was named Kristoffer (so cute!)
- sharpened my nappy changing skills
- sharpening my communicative skills with kids
- learning to be more energetic
- learning not to complain in my situation. There are people out there who are doing it far worse than me.

And most importantly I'm leanring to love kids again!

3 Comments:

At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Jepz said...

Great experience!!! Sounds fun.. ^_^

 
At 1:21 AM, Anonymous Terivosa said...

awesome steph. Congrats on the job!

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger tephiee said...

Jepz:
It was heaps fun! But also tiring but I've learnt that's better to be tired from doing things you love doing as opposed to getting tired from doing things you hate! The reward and satisfaction is different.

Terivosa:
Thanks!! =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home